Sapa Vietnam Hiking Trails
3 days and 2 nights
Hiking in the most remote part of Sapa area equals real adventure and great opportunities to experience the natural life of ethnic minority groups living in the mountains. The locals will look with big eyes and followed by happy smiles as this is “off the beaten track”. Along the trail you will meet several different tribes, each with own language and costumes. Stay overnight in a remote village in the comfortable riverside lodge.
Your journey from Hanoi to Sapa is by Topas Mountain Express. The 8 seats limousine has luxurious modern interior design with wood and leather, spacious and soft chairs, offers you a comfortable journey.
Price: Please Enquire
Reference: SNH3 | Activity: Mountain getaway and hiking | Grade: Easy
Duration: 3 days 2 nights – it’s possible to extend with one or more nights.
- Hiking in a variety of Sapa’s most awe-inspiring landscapes
- Learning about Red Dzao specialties, such as embroidery and herbal medicine
- Enjoying home-cooked meals at Topas Riverside Lodge
This tour is perfect for
- Hiking enthusiasts and nature lovers
- Families with primary-school aged children and older
- Getting off the beaten tourist track and seeing a different side of Sapa
Day 1: Hanoi – Nam Cang Village – Topas Riverside Lodge
Day 2: Topas Riverside Lodge – Topas Ecolodge
Day 3: Topas Ecolodge – Hanoi
Itinerary Sapa Vietnam Hiking
Day 1: From Hanoi to the remote area dominated by Red Dao minority (-,L,-)
From 6:30 – 7:00 AM, the Topas Mountain Express will pick you up at your Hanoi hotel before departing for a nearly 5 hours transfer to Thanh Phu Bridge, followed by another short transfer to Nam Cang village. Well arrived you will walk through the village, cross a private bridge and check into your private room in the comfortable Topas Riverside Lodge.
The afternoon is perfect for visiting the Red Dao minority village. Nam Cang locates in the most remote area of Sapa and the Red Dao women wear some of the most colorful and diverse costumes of all Vietnam’s ethnic groups. Herbal bath, plant medicine and embroidery are some of the things that the Red Dao are very skilled at. Accompanied by your guide, you will explore around the village and learn how the local villagers make writing paper, silver jewelry and embroidery.
Back at the lodge, it is a great time for a cold beer or just refreshing in the river in front of the lodge.
Enjoy the evening in the mountain with a warm atmosphere at the lodge.
Approx: Grade: Easy/ 2 hours walking.
Add on: Join a local woman and pick your own mixture of herbs and spend the evening in a special traditional bath,
based on your blend. The herbal bath and tour must be pre-booked and paid by your own.
Day 2: Hiking day to surrounding ethnic minority villages (B,L,-)
Enjoy your breakfast with a warm cup of tea before you start the tour. Your trek begins with an ascent to a small Blue H’mong village. The Blue H’mong mostly lives on the other side of Hoang Lien Mountain Range and only in the deepest part of Sapa Valley, they are found inhabiting in two small villages. You then take a descent to the Red Dao village of Nam Nhiu, having beautiful views of high mountains, waterfalls and deep valley. You enjoy your lunch at a nice break place.
In the afternoon, you will turn into a small dirt trail and soon be inspired by the marvelous view of the rice valley dotted with bamboo huts, which are used by local farmers as overnight lodges on harvesting days. Passing the rice terraces and a pretty river you will walk on a quiet road for a while before arriving back at Nam Cang village. Relax and enjoy the tranquility of the mountain at the lodge.
Approx: Grade: Moderate/ 5-6 hours walking.
Day 3: Jungle & waterfall hike with BBQ lunch. Back to the city life of Hanoi (B,L,-)
The hike will depart from Topas Riverside Lodge, heading through the quiet lanes of Nam Cang village. You will soon be rewarded with views of rice terraces, cassava and cinnamon fields. Continue hiking uphill while enjoying views of the beautiful deep valley behind you. Soon you’ll start trekking along a jungle path thick with huge trees, bamboo, and lush plants and herbs used by the Red Dao for their medicine and herbal treatments. After some time, you’ll reach a pretty stream and waterfall where you can swim in the natural pool or just cool down by dipping your feet in the water. Across a suspension bridge, another cool waterfall cascades down from the mountains – the perfect spot to rest and take in the beauty of nature.
Refreshed and invigorated, you’ll start the hike back to Topas Riverside Lodge. Here a delicious BBQ lunch will be served in the lodge garden by a local Red Dzao lady. Smoked Nam Cang salmon or sturgeon, vegetables, tofu and beef with mushrooms will be served straight from the grill on a bed of freshly picked herbs. Take your time to enjoy the BBQ feast before relaxing on the riverbank in front of the lodge or booking a special footbath to soothe your muscles and increase blood circulation (with additional fee and must be booked in advance). At 14:15, you will have a transfer to the Thanh Phu Bridge, where Topas Mountain Express departs at 15:00 and return to your hotel in Hanoi.
Approx: Grade: Moderate/ 3 hours walking.
– Topas Mountain Express can only pick up and return passengers at hotels/ residence in Hanoi’s Old Quarter and Tay Ho Area.
– Transfer and excursions are based on sharing basis
– Topas Riverside Lodge is tucked away in the heart of the mountains, amidst bustling rivers and verdant green forest within a traditional minority village, so the location is quite remote and there are no real dining options surrounding the lodge. Because of this, we offer our guests delicious dining opportunities at discounted rates when booking ahead of time. We pride ourselves in our seasonal, Sapa inspired cuisine which offers daily set menus showcasing some of the amazing, fresh local produce. We also cater to most dietary needs if given enough notice. You may add a full meal package to your stay for only: US$11/person for lunch and US$13/person for dinner, including taxes and service charge.
This package includes:
- English speaking guide during excursions
- 2 nights at Topas Riverside Lodge (twin shared Standard room)
- 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches (B = breakfast, L = lunch)
- Transfer by Topas Mountain Express: Hanoi – Thanh Phu Bridge – Hanoi (SIC)
- Transfer by shuttle bus from Thanh Phu Bridge back and forth to Topas Riverside Lodge
- Entrance fees and permits
If you would like to extend your stay at Topas Riverside Lodge or Topas Ecolodge, please request this when booking.
Rates and Special Offers
Looking for something else? Browse our current special offers by clicking the button below!